Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Coincidence, synchronicity,
divine direction?

I used to remember confiding with my mentor-friend about life, and she will usually remind me that there are no coincidences as far as our lives are concerned if we are in a relationship with God. He leads and guides us and what we see as coincidences may in fact be his promptings and guidance.

I was reading about C.G. Jung and was introduced to his concept of synchronicity. It is "the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner." (Do refer to its Wikipedia entry, link provided above, it is quite well explained, complete with very interesting examples.)

Jung, even though was brought up in a Christian family -- an extensive Christian family no less, with his father a pastor and eight of his uncles clergymen -- struggled with its dogmatism and institutionalisation. It seem to me that he has provided a place to develop on "meaningful coincidences" and yet not call it divine direction.

A form of "meaningful coincidence" has been happening to me for the past week. This one particular subject kept coming up in altogether unrelated sources, four at the last count. I did ask God for something and these "meaningful coincidences" started to appear and when I asked God for confirmation, another one appeared.

I can't quite interpret what it all mean as yet. It can go both ways, or another way. Therefore, I am still listening to God.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes coincidences can really be helpful in finding direction but other times not. I guess it is an issue of how they resonate deep within you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...and sometimes they are not helpful.

    Anyway, the latest update on that synchronicity of mine is that it has taken another turn, and I am not responding to it as yet. And will continue to pray about it.

    ReplyDelete