Thursday, September 23, 2010

Letters to Juliet



Calvin completed his exams today and we spent the evening watching TV. One of the movies was Letters to Juliet. Kansas Bob reviewed it a few days ago. I am watching it for the second time and I am still loving it. It is sweet and predictable - not everybody's cup of tea but it's definitely mine.

The movie features a wall in Verona, Italy where women write letters to Juliet about their yearnings, questions and loss in their love life and paste it on the wall. A group of 4 women collect the letters every evening and reply them as Juliet's secretaries. Here is where Sophie who was visiting Verona with her fiancé discovered them and in the course of involving herself with their work, she discovered a 50-year-old letter written by a 15-year-old girl, Claire. Sophie replied her and here the story ensued with them looking for Claire's lost love.

Now you can see I am a hopeless romantic.

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. :) ... I still think the whole plot is loosely tied-up in the end. It could have been neater but maybe it has a lot to do with the running time. But at least it fared better than the story of the two poets you gave me. I'm still a bit "heady" from reading it yesterday. And I skipped LOTS of pages. Sorry ... but I need to know what the novel is all about and where the plot leads to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not talk about the ending - I wanted to but my thoughts slipped away. I thought the ending should have been better too.

    No worries about Byatt's book -- I watched the movie and liked it and so I got the book but I could not go past the first 10 pages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely ever watch a move twice but I make an exception to that rules for 007 flicks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KB,
    LOL... I am about the rare ones who can watch a good movie at least twice and favourite ones multiple times over. I can because I watch it in different perspective each time. But of course after the 3rd time, it is because I just love the movie as it is.

    ReplyDelete