Friday, January 15, 2010

The world in devastation

Ah! I have been missing for 10 days as far as this blog is concerned.
And a lot has happened in the past week or so - a harbinger to the kind of year ahead? The major ones being the attack on several Malaysian churches over the court's decision in allowing the use of "Allah" by a Catholic newsletter to refer to God, and more devastatingly, the massive earthquake in Haiti that has brought much destruction to the lives of the people there.

I was preparing for bible study this evening and reading Leon Morris's NICNT commentary to the Gospel of John. This section on John 16:33 spoke very loudly:

"The world will infallibly bring them 'trouble'. That is its characteristic. But he can bid them 'take heart!' He had overcome the world, the perfect tense denoting an abiding victory. This statement, spoken as it is in the shadow of the cross, is audacious. The cross would seem to be Jesus' total defeat. He sees it as his complete victory over all that the world is and can do to him. He goes to the cross not in fear or in gloom, but as a conqueror." (Eerdmans, 1995, p.633)

It makes no sense to be joyful and yet we are called to rejoice in God. We can only do so if we look at our lives and live our lives through the cross of Christ. Without the work of Christ on the cross, we have nothing.

Therefore, rejoice! Take heart! He has overcome the world.

pearlie

6 comments:

  1. You've been on my mind as I've read about the attacks there in your country.

    The work of the cross. The complete victory of restoring mankind back to God. Praise God He was willing to give His life on that cross that we might be reconciled to God!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't aware of the attacks going on there ... I was missing you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered where you were also Pearlie! So sorry to hear about the attacks in your country but I'm so glad you have the right perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan for thinking of me. It is still very much at peace here - we Christians have taken a stand of love and forgiveness. The attacks are still happening but sporadically. We are still safe, for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. S. Etole,
    Thanks :) Been missing y'all too. A lot is on my mind lately and not being able to blog about it. Also I've begun to get busy in completing a paper due very very very soon on 2 Feb. FYI, I am in the midst of doing a Master in Christian Studies on a part time basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julia,
    Thanks for thinking of me :) All is well with you? I have been slow in catching up on your blog and others' blogs as well, my bad.

    ReplyDelete