Monday, November 09, 2009

The end in mind

I was listening to Dick Lucas' sermon on John 14 this morning and the one thing he said that struck me was that when Jesus began talking to his disciples about his impending death and the suffering they will be undergoing when he is gone, he not only began with exceptional comforting words but he began with the end.

Let not your heart be troubled. You trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going. (v.1-4)

This is comforting because in whatever situations we find ourselves in, we only need to be sure of two things:

1. Our relationship with God the Father, in Jesus Christ, through His Spirit
2. There is a place for us in the heavenly abode, where God himself is

Soli deo gloria

pearlie

1 comment: