Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Psalm 24: He is the King of Glory!

I know it is not a good practice to flip and read the bible randomly. Do you? I do that with the psalms sometimes. Other than the more familiar psalms, I sort of have an idea where and what the psalms are though I cannot be all certain. Like this morning, I needed to read a psalm but I did not have a specific one in mind. So I scrolled through the psalms numbers and said, ok, I'll take this one: Psalm 24. I suppose if I were to have chosen any other psalm, it would speak to me as well, but this one certainly did this morning.

Words in italics are my response.

Psalm 24
A PSALM OF DAVID.


The earth is the LORD's and the fullness thereof,
   the world and those who dwell therein,
for he has founded it upon the seas
   and established it upon the rivers.

         So why so downcast O my soul
         Hope in God
         For I shall depend on him
         He owns the earth and all in it


Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?
   And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
   who does not lift up his soul to what is false
   and does not swear deceitfully.
He will receive blessing from the LORD
   and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Such is the generation of those who seek him,
   who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah

         The hill of the LORD
         There I humbly approach
         Are my hands clean?
         Is my heart pure?

         The presence of God
         I meekly draw close
         There I seek him
         There I seek the face of God


Lift up your heads, O gates!
   And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.

         Lift up your heads
         All you people
         And into our lives
         Come in, O God


Who is this King of glory?
   The LORD, strong and mighty,
   the LORD, mighty in battle!

         You are the King
         The King of Glory
         You are strong and mighty
         You are strong and mighty


Lift up your heads, O gates!
   And lift them up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.

         Lift up your heads
         All you people
         Lift up your hearts
         Come into our lives, O LORD


Who is this
   King of glory?
The LORD of hosts,
   he is the King of glory! Selah

         Who is this?
         King of Glory?
         The Lord of hosts
         He is the King of Glory! Amen!


pearlie

2 comments:

  1. this is devotional reading and that's what it is meant to do. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reb. When you said "that's what it is meant to do" do you refer to all psalms or only to this psalm?

    ReplyDelete