Friday, May 22, 2009

Martha, Martha

We moved on to the portion of the Lazarus narrative today, where Martha and Mary met up with Jesus, in two separate accounts. One of the things that stood out in Martha's section was her proclamation of who Jesus is: Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world (11:27).

When Martha is mentioned, we always remember Jesus saying to her "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42).

But let her be remembered also as one of the few who proclaimed who Jesus is, i.e. the promised Messiah, the Son of God and the coming Deliverer.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. I think as woman we struggle between the Mary & Martha within us.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think so? I don't quite have the Martha in me but I think you are still quite right. There is still the Martha in me to get things done and get things going, sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete