Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mad World

I had decided that I am not going to follow this round of American Idol so closely but the opposite happened -- well, knowing me, maybe that was expected. This season’s team has the most excellent singers and performers, with Adam Lambert topping it all. Like all the other Idol fans, we look forward to every week’s performance just to see what is he coming up with next, and so far he has not disappointed us.

My most favourite performance of his was Smokey Robinson’s Track of my Tears, but the most poignant song that kept plaguing me for a few weeks now is Tears For Fear’s Mad World, which was remade by Gary Jules. The music is hauntingly beautiful and the lyrics very dark. The scary thing is that I can’t get it off my mind, these words and the melody:

All around me are familiar faces,
Worn out places, worn out faces,
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I’m dying
Are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It’s a very, very
Mad world, mad world


I even bought the movie of which Gary Jules’ version of the song was used – Donnie Darko, rated more than 80% by http://www.rottentomatoes.com/, a dark dreary movie about a schizophrenic. I have not watched it yet -- not ready to enter into its darkness yet.

I had second thoughts sharing the video here – so watch it at your own peril.



pearlie

9 comments:

  1. I thot you listen to opera singer only??hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. you think Susan Boyle got angelic voice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say really. The quality of you-tube vid I watched wasn't good and I can't really hear her voice that well but the crowd certainly think she can sing. I seem to think they have all forgotten about Paul Potts. I even bought his album :) Maybe youtube then isn't as big as now?? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just googled them. Apparently they knew each other before Susan Boyle tried it our for BGT ... interesting ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops .. haha .. they don't. I didn't realise I was reading a satire poking fun at them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shed tear, listening to Susan Boyle....maybe, because so contrasting of common appearance and angelic voice... Praise God for that...

    I put her same category with Diana Ross, celine dion, Barbara streisand....for the beauty of voice...

    maybe, you as soprano, can try sing, then put up youtube??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pearlie, try metacafe for susan boyle's audition. Sceptics, I wouldn't exactly pin her with Diana Ross or Celine Dion ... these two also have strong vocals but are more contemporary than broadway. Susan's voice, I think, definitely more broadway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, susan 's voice got broadway feel, bit of classical training...

    her voice got power....

    ReplyDelete
  9. 不肖生 Sceptics,
    My singing IS somewhere out there and I am sure I don't want to broadcast it!

    ReplyDelete