Friday, April 03, 2009

The John 9 Narrative

I realised something about the whole of John 9 as we brought the discussing and digging into John 9 to a close today. When the man born blind was healed, he had initially no inkling who Jesus was. When Jesus healed him, there he began on his faith journey. Mud made with saliva was put on his eyes. He was told to wash in the Pool of Siloam. He went, I imagine very slowly and obviously blindly trudging along, being careful of the mud on his eyes. He washed and he saw! For a mature man who has not seen anything before in his life who suddenly sees, it must really be an extraordinary experience. He went home in excitement and joy to show his good fortune.

Let's see how his journey went.

First, the neighbours were contemplating if it was him. He said, "Yes, I am the man." Then he recounted to them what happened when "the man they call Jesus" came to him.

Then, he was brought to the Pharisees. He began by recounting again his experience with Jesus but when asked what he has to say about him, and he made one step forward. He replied, "He is a prophet."

Next, the Pharisees called his parents, who were afraid of them. His parents would not bear witness for the son. They were afraid. I see that this is significant because the man's testimony is his own. No one else can bear witness for Jesus except himself, not even his parents. In the same way, our testimonies are our own. We are the ones who must make it and firmly proclaim it to the world. Don't expect others to do it for you.

Then, it was back to the Pharisees. Now his statement became more elaborated, firm and concrete when he said in retort to the Pharisees, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" and "Now that is remarkable! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will. Nobody has ever heard of opening the eyes of a man born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing."

Finally, Jesus came to him and asked him, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" "Who is he, sir?" the man asked. "Tell me so that I may believe in him." Jesus said, "You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you." Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he worshiped him.

Imagine, if he had not gone through the neighbours-Pharisees-parents-Pharisees ordeal and if Jesus had ask him immediately after healing him, what would he have said?

In the same way, if we had not been through our very own ordeals and trials, what would we have said of Christ? What testimony would we bear for him?

pearlie

8 comments:

  1. For your ending remarks, it is good question for reflection.

    however, let say, you preach this sermon , what "context, application, selling point, concrete problem" that , you think you could target or tackle, with the question yu ask above...??

    just for discussion.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this applies in general to all times because we all somehow suffer in one way or another in this fallen world. More so now in the economic downturn, most of the pastors are preaching sermons like this and sermons of hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your words Pearlie. Often we have to broaden out the scriptures to understand them better. You have done that here. Thanks. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, good teaching.

    keep it up.look forward to your future post..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately I read a book 'facing your giants" by Max Lucado. Have You read this book?

    he draws lessons from King David's narratives. there are 19 chapters, each chapter talks about one point only.

    Surprisingly, Lucado's books sell tens of million copies world-wide. This is first time I read his book, and I am not his fan anyway.

    Two things to note :his message encompass; healing and deliverance from despair, rejection,human relation,providing hope and etc...

    I guess, he is charismatic pastor because these are common sermon emphasis of charismatic speakers..

    and every chapter he deliberately include some case study, to convince, explicate that, the lesson he draws actually provide solution for the particular needs of people, as it being applied to the case.

    This explain what i say: preach the bible with concrete needs to address to, and not purely Word-centered or God-centred.

    What's your view on Lucado?

    This is what I observe, the difference between Carson and Lucado's expository....hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words, Dave. We indeed hope to learn from each other the wisdom and depth of God's Word to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks 不肖生 Sceptics :) I am taking a short break to recollect myself, which is why I am being very quiet. Thank you for coming by so often, and for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

    I have not read Max Lucado yet but I get the impression that he is a very communicative and creative writer. And I love his e-cards in Daysptings :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry ... it's Daysprings, ... I think ...

    ReplyDelete