Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In a different culture

I had some time to spare today before Grace Notes rehearsal at 7.30pm and so I thought I'd pay a visit to a saree store. My colleague will be getting married this weekend and it would be nice and different, for me, to turn up in a saree, except that I do not have one nor have I worn one before.

So off to the store I went and I had such a great time, albeit alone. The store was full of saree cloths for sale as well as ready made Indian and Punjabi suits. I walked back and forth the shop many times looking at the various designs. The storekeeper brought out so many for me to view that if I did not stop him, he could have brought down the entire store.

I finally settled on this one. I love the colour combination of light green and navy blue, and especially the flower and scroll design.



We live in a multi-faceted country with various beliefs and customs that it is a challenge I find sometimes to live a faithful Christian life whilst still maintaining good relations with friends of different faiths. The wedding ceremony will be held in a Sikh temple this Saturday and all ladies are required to cover their heads. I was not too sure what the act would denote and initially I wasn't too comfortable with it.

What I did was this: I went to her and explained to her that being a Christian, there are some things I can and cannot do. I asked her to explain to me the purpose of the head covering. She told me that it was in respect of their holy word that is displayed at the front of the temple. I thanked her and told her I will do as required.

I reasoned that in covering myself with my own shawl, I am not performing any acts of worship but an act of tolerance and respect to the beliefs of my friend. In fact, I am looking forward to attend the wedding ceremony this Saturday to see the significance of the marriage ceremony to the Sikh belief, and what each act undertaken would mean.

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. Sometimes in our zeal to maintain the 'purity' of our faith, we may become intolerant of others thus belittling others who is also created in His image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful!!!!

    I would think this would fall under the catagory of Paul's teaching in I Corinthians 8 about eating food offered to idols: "But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse." I Corinthians 8:7

    It's also wonderful that you spoke to her in honesty and up front. She is plainly aware that you are honoring your friendship with her, and not some idol.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good decision Pearlie. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys ... quite many things have been happening over the weekend and I have not the chance to post anything yet. I hope to get to it soon :)

    ReplyDelete