Friday, November 21, 2008

Reflections on several verses in John 5

We had our bible study as usual this evening on the book of John and we studied John 5:31-47. I initially found the verses quite straightforward but when we looked into them, I learnt quite a lesson.

John 5:39-40
39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
There are those in our midst who are illiterate and yet believe with their whole heart in the Lord Jesus Christ, and there are those who are not only literate but who are so brilliant and yet are blinded by their will of disbelief.

John 5:41-42
41 "I do not accept praise from men, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts.
Just imagine God saying these words to us when we sing him praises every Sunday morning not realising or even aware of what we are singing. "I know you and I know you do not have the love of God in your hearts." Know the songs that we sing and have the fruits to show the love of God in our hearts.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Reflected heavily on John's Gospel in the week before going to Fraser's Hill. Indeed, these are hard-hitting words to be seriously considered by every sincere Christian...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about joining us for bible study?? ;)

    ReplyDelete