Thursday, November 06, 2008

The History and Theology of the Exile: Day 2

I took this module mainly because I know next to nothing about it, and I was right, I am totally ignorant as far as the exile is concerned. And we went through so much data today it is no wonder by the end of the evening, when the class were debating about original sin, my brain suffered a shut down.

But one thing about the exile did get me thinking - Jeremiah was prophesying to the people that they are to submit to the Babylonians. It was a hard message to take, because it would mean defeat. Didn't Isaiah said long ago that God is a God who delivers? Shouldn't it apply now as well? And who is this who now tells us that we have to give up? Preposterous!

If I were in their shoes, I would not have believed in Jeremiah myself. Bringing it into our modern context where we are almost always preaching a grandiose positivist theology, it is like being asked to give in to the current political oppressors, be submissive and live out a subdued life obedient to the powers. That sounds preposterous in our context. It would have sounded preposterous to the Jews then as well.

But yet, Jeremiah was speaking the truth. As such, the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple was inevitable, whether Jeremiah had risen up or not to prophesy.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Paul preached the same thing about the Romans who ruled the land at that time. Even, as legend tells us, the very King who would order his execution!! We do have much to learn on this subject. Especially us in the U.S. at this time in our history.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed ... and so it is in Malaysia as well. Thanks for your thoughts sister.

    ReplyDelete