Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kuala Lumpur National Art Gallery
Josip Generalic and Naive Art


cuti.com.my

While in Melaka, Calvin was disappointed that he did not get to visit the art gallery there. To compensate, I brought him to the National Art Gallery in Kuala Lumpur today. I have not been there myself and I must say it was worth a visit.


Josip Generalic, Flower Stump, 1971, Oil on Canvas

Of all the work there, I was attracted to the work of Josip Generalic (1936-2004). I soon found out that his genre of art was call “naïve art”. I never knew there was such a thing. According to Wikipedia.org, “naïve art is characterized by a childlike simplicity. It is a gross oversimplification to assume that naïve art is created by people with little or no formal art training.”

Little or no formal art training? More like an in-born talent.

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. If you like naive art, you should check out for Yusof Gajah's work. He's one of the more popular naive artist's in Malaysia.

    The Malaysian Naive Art festival/exhibition was on a couple of months ago- not sure if it's an annual thing, but worth a go if you're curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks! I wanted to find out where there are more art galleries we can visit. I hope it is still on though - this Naive Art festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just missed a great show at Galeri Petronas in KLCC. The Disclosure: Ahmad Zakii Anuar exhibition was AMAZING! :) If you never went to another exhibition ever again, that would've been the only one to catch.

    But there's another bunch of shows coming up soon there- they change exhibitions often, so there's always something new to see. It's on Level 3, in KLCC on the Ampang Mall side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'll keep an eye open.

    ReplyDelete