Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I am equipped with the sword of the Spirit



With stress coming in from all sides, I am ever more in need to be equipped with the living and active word of God, which is sharper than any two-edged sword. I seek for it to penetrate even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; and for it to judge the thoughts and attitudes of my heart.

Where I am working hard in the world, I will not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers, but instead I will delight in the law of the LORD, and on his law I desire to meditate day and night.

Where I tend to be so irritable and have been victimised, I will not let any unwholesome talk come out of my mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. I seek not to not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom I was sealed for the day of redemption. I seek to get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. I seek to be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave me. I seek to be an imitator of God, as his dearly loved child and to live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Where I am so downcast, in despair, worried and disturbed, I will put my hope in God, I will praise him, my Saviour and my God.

Where I tend to feel a sense of a day-in-day-out meaningless in life, I know that with God all has been heard and the conclusion of the matter is to fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Amen.

pearlie
(Heb 4:12, Psalm 1:1-2, Eph 4:29-5:2, Psalm 42:5, Eccl 21:13, Heb 4:13)
Photo (c) 2007 Danijel Juricev

10 comments:

  1. The scripture that helps me most when I am stressed out is:

    Come unto me all who are weary and burdened, I shall give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this meditation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good Pearlie! I also love the pic but I see that you did not take it. What does it mean to have God's word divide soul and spirit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool photo!

    Excellent integrating of Scripture verses into your article. You blended them well into a consistent whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks KB, that one is a good one. Only in Christ are we rest-assured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia,
    Yea... I have not been taking many photos lately, been busy :)

    When the author of Hebrews talked about God's Word being sharper than a two-edged sword that is can divide soul and spirit, I believe he is speaking in hyperbole where it is so sharp can even split soul and spirit - the innermost nature and substance of our being.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jeff :) I have been having quite some bad weeks and these verses have been my company.

    ReplyDelete