Monday, July 28, 2008

Take heart and persevere

I pondered a bit about eternal life today.

I again found myself musing how much I look forward to being in heaven in the presence of God, though now (hopefully, for very good reasons God willing) is not the time.

Inasmuch as it is inconsequential, I have yet to decide on my stand about our condition after death. I am at the moment taking a closer stand toward soul sleep. I am thinking if I were to die, I may go into a soul sleep awaiting the final judgement, and then heaven. There will still a wait, even though I would most probably not feel it.
However, as much as it would be wonderful to be right there in God’s presence, there is still much to experience in this temporary world that God has placed us in, in preparation for the season that is to come, the consummation of life everlasting.

With that, I would like to take a brighter view of life as we have it now.

In the now and not yet of the eternal life that Christ has accomplished for us, there is still much to learn in the “now” before we go to the “not yet”.

Therefore, if you find yourself in a quandary, think about what you can learn from the LORD in your eternal life now, to prepare for the eternal life not yet. Think about the extension and expansion of our quality and quantity of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The more you have these fruits, the bigger and fuller you have them, the more you will enjoy the eternal life to come, in the very personal presence of God.

So take heart and persevere.

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. I guess I don't find the idea of soul sleep attractive because is relies on our concept of time. I see no evidence in scripture that time exists when we die. On the contrary it seems that heaven is a plce where there is no past, present or future.. just now. Of course I could be wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KB,
    Now that you mentioned it, I have always been musing how life now itself is very much a "just now" - as in it is always "now".

    I agree there is a concept of past and future but it is more now than anything.

    So much so that I have be a contrarian here - I believe there is a concept of time in heaven. Of course, I could be wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that God exists outside of time.. so for me it follows that heaven also exists outside of time. How would heaven mark time with no day (sun) or night (moon).. as indicated in this verse speaking of the New Jerusalem:

    And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. (Rev 21:23)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See my blog today for a book give away on this topic :)

    ReplyDelete