Thursday, June 12, 2008

Self-idolatry

My mind is processing some thoughts on something akin to Psalm 1.

Psalm 1
1 How blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.

4 The wicked are not so,
But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the wicked will perish.

I grew up in a Christian home and thanks to my mom and dad, and some church leaders, I was taught in the Lord's way. But only now, do I really see for myself who we are as God's children in comparison to those who are not.

I am a person who tends to see the best in others, for good or bad. Lately though, I have begun to open my eyes to see the difference that Christ has made in our lives.

As much as it is a norm that humankind tends to be selfish and self-centered, ultimately upholding oneself above all, what I have seen lately made me realise that without Christ, humankind has no basis for love and grace.

What matters is self and hence, self fulfilment.

All thoughts, words and deeds are only for self. It does not matter if it is to the detriment of others, as long as no one is seen to be hurt.

What do you think when someone who said that the help she gave to the poor are made for herself? Oh yes, they get the help I am giving, she says, but I am doing it only for myself.

We live in a fallen world. We are a fallen being. We are those who in faith believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and has been redeemed and changed by his love and grace.

I pray that we will continually be the blessed ones who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment