Saturday, February 09, 2008

Shel Silverstein, 1930-1999

I came across Shel Silverstein's books when I was in Singapore end of last year. I browsed them through and found them absolutely brilliant. These will be in my wishlist.


How Many, How Much
How many slams in an old screen door?
..Depends how loud you shut it.
How many slices in a bread?
..Depends how thin you cut it.
How much good inside a day?
..Depends how good you live 'em.
How much love inside a friend?
..Depends how much you give 'em.

Shel Silverstein, A Light in the Attic, Copyright © 1981 by Evil Eye Music, Inc.



Snowball
I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its head.
Then last night it ran away,
But first - it wet the bed.

Shel Silverstein, Falling Up, Copyright © 1996 by Shel Silverstein.



Homemade Boat
This boat that we just built is just fine
And don't try to tell us it's not.
The sides and the back are divine
It's the bottom I guess we forgot....

Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Copyright © 1974 by Evil Eye Music, Inc.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Shel Siverstein rocks! When my kids were in second grade, they all had to memorize one and recite it in front of the parents - it was called Poetry Parade. One of them did Snowball - I think it was Edward. I love How Many, How Much - I never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete