Saturday, February 23, 2008

Obituary / Interpreting the OT, Poetic Books - Day 5

Before I talk about learning the Psalms, there is a need for a bereavement psalm. My aunt passed away this morning. She was suffering from cancer, which was just diagnosed not too long ago. My aunt was the spiritual pillar of strength of our family, and no doubt she is also one of the spiritual pillars of the church. During the wake service this evening, the appropriate words to send her off was 2 Timothy 4:7-8: for indeed she has fought a good fight and have finished the race. She had kept an astounding faith. She is now with God.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 (ESV)
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

We learned more about the types of psalms and spent quite a lot of time on one of the stalwart of psalm scholarly work - Hermann Gunkel. Reb also talked about acrostic psalms and showed us some interesting modern examples. This one I find utterly amusing:

The Acrostic Valentine by John Whitworth
Wonderfully
Handsome
Attractively
Tanned
Amazingly
Brilliant
Incredibly
Grand
Dearly
Adorable
Fearlessly
True
Witty
And
Lovable
Lusciously
You

Reb said it takes considerable effort and creativity to write acrostic poems. I took the challenge and he is right. I don't think what I have here is any good, but since I spent hours at it, you get to see it here:


(Click on picture)

pearlie

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Aunt. You will all miss her, I'm sure.

    Your acrostic, I thought, was very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi pearlie,
    so sorry to hear about your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your Aunt, Pearlie. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolonces. Sorry to hear about your aunt. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for your kind words. I appreciate you all.

    ReplyDelete