Saturday, December 29, 2007

God, be merciful to me, a sinner!

Luke 18:9-14
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Are we fit for the kingdom of God - what kind of people are we, what characters, commitments and behaviour do we have? Do we think we are so righteous? In other words, do we think we are always right? Do we think we always live honourably before God? Do we - at least subsconciously in our mind - look down on others who do not show the kind of behaviour we expect?

I keep seeing this happening in the church, and without exception, I included. God in his creative being designed us so differently. Our characters and behaviours are so different and that is what makes the body of Christ, and yet our judgemental characters shows out the most when the behaviour of others are so different from us. We may argue that their behaviours are wrong behaviours, but that does not justify our behaviour when we approach them in disdain and worse yet, be contemptous behind their backs.

I am so guilty of this. God, please forgive and change me.

pearlie

8 comments:

  1. I wish you a good end of 2007 and a good year of 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearlie- This is such a good post and great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perlie, u have a nice blog.
    wishing u and ur family and blessed new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that we all want humility to be this neat and tidy thing.. truth is that real humility looks more like humiliation.

    I think that the tax collector in the Luke passage looked pretty silly to an outsider.. might have made some of us feel uncomfortable.. this man was humiliated but justified.

    The older I get the more I have come to realize that I am the problem.. my judgments are called to account every day.. but I am learning.. I saw a very overweight person in the store yesterday and before I could judge her (as I sometimes have others) I heard myself praying for her and blessing her.. we can change if we allow ourselves to be humiliated.. at least privately.

    Happy 2008 Pearlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anooja!
    Wishing you a blessed new year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 2008 Bob!
    Being humiliated is a hard thing to take. But it is usually pride that keeps us away from God.

    ReplyDelete