Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A conversation ... by BK

BK has an excellent post on an account with his "neighbour" during Sunday service. Reading it, I felt as if I was just standing next to him. Thanks BK!


I sat next to a guy at evening service today. He was a little scruffy-looking, with a haircut not dissimilar to Nicholas Cage in Con Air. Actually, I thought he looked uncannily like someone (in?)famous, but I still can't figure out who. He looked fairly intimidating, not the kind of guy you want to play roughhouse with. It was a little surprising, then, when we both stood up at the end of the service, to find out that I was actually taller!

The service started with a reflection on Scripture,and I noticed that he didn't have a Bible and offered to share mine with him. He nodded politely at me and said he was fine without one. As the music struck up, I then noticed that he didn't have a service sheet. (We're old school, no OHP projectors!) So again, I offered to share. He mumbled something and declined again. Then I cottoned on. He must have found reading difficult, and if I insisted I would just have embarrassed him. So I let him be.

Because my church is pretty big and so it's likely you're sitting next to someone different each week, there's always a moment during the service where we have a pause and introduce ourselves. So at this juncture, I said hi to Nicholas Cage. He gave me a name.

More ...

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. pearlie, you are the scruffy-looking guy with the Nicholas Cage haircut? And all along I thought you are a great looking girl...

    sorry cannot resist.

    I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes effort to connect with people who are not like us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,
    Haha ... great looking girl? Thank you thank you thank you :D

    ReplyDelete