Thursday, September 20, 2007

Writing


Alex posted about writing and finished off the post with this:

... I have been reading about writing by Thomas Merton in Robert Inchausti (Ed.) (2007), Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton and the Vocation of Writing (London & Boston: New Seeds).

If you write for God you will reach many men and bring them joy.

If you write for men - you may make some money and you may give someone a little joy and you may make a noise in the world, for a little while.

If you write for yourself, you can read what you have written and after ten minutes you will be so disgusted you will wish you were dead.

(p.198)

I must remember this.

I told him I must also remember this but since my memory is as good as a goldfish's, I copied and pasted it here.

pearlie

3 comments:

  1. I love these. I am going to copy and paste this where I can refer to it OFTEN!!!!
    ((hugs))
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might place it at the side bar :)

    ReplyDelete