Saturday, September 29, 2007

Malaysia Jubilee Mission Expo


I wanted to spend most of the day on James 4:4 but I managed to drop into MCA Hall this evening to view the Exhibition of 183 Historical Pictures of the Malaysia Jubilee Mission Expo, which celebrates the 200th Anniversary of Robert Morrison's Mission to China.

The sad thing for me was that the entire exhibition was in Chinese. I was only given a booklet in English describing what each poster and pictures therein say and refer to. I teasingly called the book English Subtitles, except that they weren't really subtitles at all as all it provided was general information of the posters and not a word-for-word translation of the text. Midway through I lost interest, but it would be an excellent walkthrough if and only if I knew how to read Chinese.



I can't say much here about the missionaries and their sacrificial contributions but what caught my attention was this poem (in English!), written by E.H. Hamilton, after hearing of the death of his missionary collegue Jack Vinson. Vinson was martyred in 1931. He showed no fear of death and to his Chinese captors, he said, "Kill me, if you wish. I will go straight to God."

"Afraid?"
by E.H. Hamilton

Afraid? Of what?
To feel the spirit's glad release?
To pass from pain to perfect peace,
The strife and strain of life to cease?
Afraid - of that?

Afraid? Of what?
Afraid to see the Saviour's face,
To hear His welcome, and to trace,
The glory gleam from wounds of grace,
Afraid - of that?

Afraid? Of what?
A flash - a crash - a pierced heart;
Brief darkness - Light - O Heaven's art!
A wound of His a counterpart!
Afraid - of that?

Afraid? Of what?
To enter into Heaven's rest,
And yet to serve the Master blessed?
From service good to service best?
Afraid - of that?

Afraid? Of what?
To do by death what life could not -
Baptize with blood a stony plot,
Till souls shall blossom from the spot?
Afraid - of that?
We are certainly indebted to them. More information here.

pearlie

3 comments:

  1. Haha...you went there a day earlier. I'm on duty today (Sunday), "jagaing" STM booth. I could have given you a personal tour since I know "a little bit" of Chinese...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haiya ... indeed I was a day early. But the truth is that the reason I was there is because my dad wanted to go and so I offered to drive him. He was quite pleased with the exhibition.

    I on the other hand was wondering where the STM booth is, since MBS is also there. So how was business ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha..you mean you did not manage to locate STM booth? We are "comfortably" tucked in a corner...

    ReplyDelete