Tuesday, September 18, 2007

James 4:4 (NASB)

You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

I am now down to my final assignment for my Biblical Interpretation module. I need to write a brief exegesis paper on Matthew 7:6, 1 Timothy 6:10a or James 4:4. For whatever reasons, I have chosen the James one, which I think will be a good one to tackle, though the other 2 are just as interesting and just as difficult.

Issues/problems to think about:
1. Why the usage of the vocative feminine "You adulteresses"?
2. What is meant by "friendship with the world", what is "the world" and why is it hostility toward God?
3. How does 4:4 fit in James, and in Scriptures, biblically and theologically?

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment