Friday, August 24, 2007

A nice day off

Calvin is having a week long break from school and I finally managed to take the day off today to be spent with him. We did not do much but had breakfast together, went to the mall, watched some television (Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder 2 to be precise. By the way, Atkinson is his all-time favourite) and then had dinner together. Oh yes, and lunch too!

I also brought our computer workstation - which the burglars nearly got away with it too, they carried it downstairs but left it at the door - to the store to try to get its RAM upgraded but alas, it could not be done being an older unit. They do not have that kind of RAM in store anymore. But I did get another unit of an external hard disk to replace the one the burglars did get away with.

And of course the day will not be complete without a visit to the bookstore and this time we went to the MPH at Bangsar Shopping Village II.


Both SH and I share only one favourite author, Michael Crichton. His newest book, Next is now in paperback. I am looking forward to reading this one, though I think SH will get to it first.


John Grisham was my favourite author. My favouritest was The Client. He fell out of my list when I read his King of Torts. I did not even finish it, which is quite unusual. I have never left any fiction I picked up unfinished (well, except one: Tom Clancy's Executive Order. Try as I might, several times, I just could not follow the multiple plots going on at the same time). With this new book, The Innocent Man, I am giving him another chance.


Calvin started on this preposterous series by Dav Pilkey, The Adventures of Captain Underpants. He devoured all his 7 books a month ago and he got so excited that he finally got the 8th installment, Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People.


I knew Captain Underpants will not keep him for long as he reads and finishes them by the hour. So I let him have a try at this series I found at MPH and we left the store with two. Jeremy Strong's Beware! Killer Tomatoes and Krazy Kow Saves the World - Well, Almost. Oh boy ... and I wish I had this kind of crazy books when I was young. Life was much more normal back then.


And as I am writing this, he has already finished the Underpants book as well as Enid Blyton's Mr Pink-Whistle Interferes. Ah well, I suppose he has my genes - speed reading?

pearlie

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys are prolific readers. But I knew that already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh - there's a new Captain Underpants book? I'm surprised it has not been announced in this household yet. Let me know what Calvin thinks about the Jeremy Strong books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had some time with your son. I'd bet you needed it and so did he.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jewels,
    ;) haha ... knowing my dream job, of course you'd know that already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy,
    I am not sure if it will be new to you :) it's the eighth book. Yes, will let you know about Strong's book when he gets to it. He wanted to last night but I pushed him to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy,
    It was Calvin who asked for it, that I take a day off for him. I am so glad I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Captain Underpants - now that makes this grandpa smile :)

    Did you know that you were given a an award?

    ReplyDelete