Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It is not good for the man to be alone


At the aftermath of the burglary, I pushed away the idea of taking the day off today and thought that going to work and immersing myself in work and being in the company of my colleagues will be good for me, that it will be therapeutic. I was right. I still thought about it, I did talk about it but in good perspective. But now that I am alone at home, Calvin is in bed and SH is out for a late meeting, I feel quite miserable.

This reminded of Gen 2:18: Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him."

I know that this verse is usually applied to the constitution of marriage but if you look into the word, man, in Hebrew adam and in the LXX, anthropos, it could well carry the meaning of human being, that is in general, it is just not good for us to be alone, which is why God made us to be companions, to our spouses, to our family, to our friends.

God himself is the Trinitarian God. And we are made in his likeness. We need our community We need to share the love that flows from the Triune God with one another.

pearlie
Picture by Lorem Ipsum

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts to have while you're alone, Pearlie. Thankful for SH, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss Pearlie. My home was burglarized in 1976 and I still remember that sense of our home being violated. I'm praying for peace and joy to return to your home soon.

    Blessings, Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob. And looks like I will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete