Monday, April 16, 2007

What is knowledge?


Maybe it is because it is a Monday. I woke up with a dreaded feeling today though I am not sure what should I be worried about. I do think it is because it is a Monday but I also think it is because of my slack in spending time in prayer.

I began reading the Proverbs during my morning devotion and found them refreshing, in that I am reminded that wisdom comes from the LORD and the fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. What is this knowledge that Solomon is refering to? Common sense? Common knowledge? Academic knowledge? Street-smart knowledge?

Prov 2:6 says "For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." The knowledge therefore refers to the knowledge and understanding that comes from God. However, I still feel that it is quite difficult to pin that down because it is still subject to the way we all interpret and read it differently. Oh how we need to ask God for understanding and discernment and the Holy Spirit to lead us into this knowledge of God.

Nevertheless I found Prov 3:13-26 comforting:

13 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom,
and the one who gets understanding,
14 for the gain from her is better than gain from silver
and her profit better than gold.
15 She is more precious than jewels,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her;
those who hold her fast are called blessed.

19 The LORD by wisdom founded the earth;
by understanding he established the heavens;
20 by his knowledge the deeps broke open,
and the clouds drop down the dew.
21 My son, do not lose sight of these--
keep sound wisdom and discretion,
22 and they will be life for your soul
and adornment for your neck.
23 Then you will walk on your way securely,
and your foot will not stumble.
24 If you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror
or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes,
26 for the LORD will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being caught.

pearlie
Picture by Christa Richert

4 comments:

  1. It is 6:05 a.m. here and I read:

    "What is this knowledge that Solomon is refering to? Common sense? Common knowledge? Academic knowledge? Street-smart knowledge?"

    Thanks for making me truly "think" very early as I begin my day.

    In my thinking (no pun intended) it is the inner knowing that the Holy Spirit gives us and the knowing that comes from having filled up our mind with the Word of God and then speaking that Word.
    Even as I write this I realize Solomon did not have that "inner knowing of the Holy Spirit" because that didn't come until after Christ paid the price for man's sin and sent the Holy Spirit.

    Like I said above. You ARE making me think this early morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... at 6.05am I'd still be moaning at the alarm bell will be ringing for 5 minutes! lol

    filled up our mind with the Word of God and then speaking that Word.
    Actually after posting this, I continued thinking about what "knowledge and understanding that comes from God" would mean to different people i.e. strictly the Word as opposed to God still actively speaking to his people - this has been discussed in this blog before and it is a question that has no answers, not until we meet God finally.

    I realize Solomon did not have that "inner knowing of the Holy Spirit" because that didn't come until after Christ paid the price for man's sin and sent the Holy Spirit.
    Yes, but I think the Spirit is nevertheless very active in the OT. He is usually being refered to as the Spirit of God. Exactly a month ago, I completed a paper on the Holy Spirit . There are basically 3 epochs of the Holy Spirit: (1) in the OT (2) at Jesus's time and (3) at the church's time till now. Anyways.

    It is encouraging to know that I made people think :)

    God bless YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yes, the Holy Spirit was very active in the O.T. and "came upon" them but it's still now like we are blessed with having Him reside in us. I am a very early riser. Early morning is my favorite time of day, before all the activity begins and you can really think and meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday isn't really agreeing with me either, but I can't pinpoint why.

    ReplyDelete