Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Man of Sorrows

Holy Wednesday

The 4th Servant Song is the longest of the 4 songs in Isaiah (42:1-4, 49:1-6, 50:4-9 and 52:13 – 53:12). It is the central and most important unit in chapters 40-66. The literary style of the song is that of a lyrical metric with 5 stanzas, 3 numbered verses each. As such I have updated my post on 2 April 2007. It is the most frequent quoted in the NT than any other OT passages. And as I have stated yesterday it is known as the gospel in the OT.

First stanza
v.13
my servant … exalted high
Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. (42:1) This servant is none other than our Lord Jesus Christ.

v.14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him — his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness.
Men is appalled at they see on the cross – a man so disfigured beyond imagination.

v.15 so will he sprinkle many nations
Nations will be sprinkled with the sprinkling of cleansing and consecration. Not only the people of God but the nations, all who receive him, who believe in his name, he gives the right to become children of God. (John 1:12)

Second stanza
v.1 our message … who has believed … who has heard
This is our message to all people, that Christ was sacrificed so that we may live and live it to the fullest.

v.2 grew up … like a root … no form of majesty
Jesus began humbly without the bearings or trappings of royalty. He came as we are, made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of man, humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death. (Phil 2:7-8)

v.3 despised, rejected by man … a man of sorrows
Jesus is a man of sorrows, which in the Hebrew word stands for both physical and mental sorrows, which we see when he was in Gethsemane and on the cross.

What Christ has done is so profound that “for that which has not been told them we see, and that which we have not heard we understand.” (see 52:15).

O amazing God, I thank you for your love, a love that we truly cannot fathom, or measure. No words can ever describe what you have done. I am mean and lowly, sinful and unbecoming. Thank you for accepting me and loving me. Help me to love you because you first loved me, you love me with such great love, there is no way to repay you but to give myself in offering back to you.
Amen.

pearlie
Picture by Markus Biehal

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comments again! :)

    I am excited about all the windows in our new place!

    And I am definitely going to study Isaiah 53 this week. Thank you again for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stricking photo. Happy Risen Lord's Day to you Pearlie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randi,
    I have not studied Isaiah much - it actually scares me :) mainly because it is not an easy book to study. But Isa 53 is just too wonderful. I am glad you are also gonna study it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penless,
    Happy Risen Lord's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete