Monday, January 01, 2007

I renew my covenant

In the old covenant, God chose Israel to be a special people and to obey the law. Our Lord Jesus Christ, by his death and resurrection, has made a new covenant with all who trust in him. We stand within this covenant and we bear his name.

On the one side, God promises in this covenant to give us new life in Christ.

On the other side, we are pledged to live not for ourselves but for God.

Today, therefore, we meet to renew the covenant which binds us to God.

Friends, let us claim the covenant God has made with his people, and accept the yoke of Christ. To accept the yoke of Christ means that we allow Christ to guide all that we do and are, and that Christ himself is our only reward.

Christ has many services to be done, some are easy, others are difficult; some make others applaud us, others bring only reproach; some we desire to do because of our own interests; others seem unnatural.

Sometimes we please Christ and meet our own needs, at other times we cannot please Christ unless we deny ourselves.

Yet Christ strengthens us and gives us the power to do all these things. Therefore let us make this covenant of God our own.

Let us give ourselves completely to God, trusting in his promises and relying on his grace.

I give myself completely to you, God. Assign me to my place in your creation. Let me suffer for you. Give me the work you would have me do. Give me many tasks or have me step aside while you call others. Put me forward or humble me. Give me riches or let me live in poverty. I freely give all that I am and all that I have to you.

And now holy God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, you are mine and I am yours. So be it. May this covenant made on earth continue for all eternity.

Amen.

Maeghan
Source: The United Methodist Church

4 comments:

  1. This is really cool. What a great prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Meaghan - Blessings to you in the New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Codepoke,
    We did this during our watchnight service. I found it really meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia,
    Many blessings of the New Year to you and all at home!

    ReplyDelete