Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Holy Spirit: A Personal Being

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
~ John 14:26 (ESV)

I need to buck up and get working on my paper on the role of the Holy Spirit in Acts. I am beginning to worry about choosing the assignment on the Holy Spirit. With a 2000-word limit, I will definitely run into problems.

I plan to approach it this way:
    The role of the Holy Spirit in Acts
    - in comparison to His role in the Scriptures
    - in comparison to the various views held by believers
Who is the Holy Spirit?

According to Hammond, some people take the Holy Spirit as a divine "mode of action" - i.e. that scriptural references to "the Spirit" may be simply symbolic expression for an action of God in a spiritually creative manner. But if we look in the New Testament, references of Him would prove otherwise. The Holy Spirit is a personal being just as the Father and the Son. The Spirit is not an impersonal “it” or simply an influence.

1. The Holy Spirit bears the titles "the Spirit of God", "the Holy Spirit of God", "the Holy Spirit whom you have from God", "the Spirit of His Son", "the Spirit of Christ".

2. The emphatic use of the definite article, the Spirit.

3. Jesus discourse in John 14-16, where He gave the Spirit His most prominent title, the Paraclete; He is also referred to as "another Advocate" plus the use of a masculine personal pronoun in John 14:26 and 15:26.

4. References to "lying against" the Holy Spirit (Rom 9:1), "grieving" the Holy Spirit (Eph 4:30), the Holy Spirit bearing witness (1 John 5:7), and teaching (John 14:26).

Maeghan

6 comments:

  1. It sounds very interesting, Maeghan! I am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Maeghan. Thank you, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maeghan,

    Are you recording my soap-boxes? Excellent stuff.

    God Bless
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug,
    On the account that officially English is not my mother tongue (though unofficially it is and it is definitely my first language!) what do you mean by soap-boxes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maeghan,

    A 'soap-box' is basically a subject that is close to your heart and when a subject gets close to it, you end up talking a lot about it... with great enthusiasm.

    The soap box reference is from people who would go into crowds and make speeches while standing on soap boxes so that they stood above the crowd and could be heard.

    Soap boxes are very interesting. Josif Stallin used to stand on one when taking pictures with other international leaders. He did this because he was very short and percieved that his shortness made him seem week.

    Okay I've digressed too far.

    God Bless
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fine. I enjoy digressing myself at times. Thanks for explaining. I learnt something :)

    ReplyDelete