Thursday, November 09, 2006

On Introspection


I did not add this quote yesterday because I thought it deserves its own post.

Introspection is never far from a revelation that pierces inward. Man talks with his God in response to his God's impulsion. The sight of the face – a spiritual phenomenon – creates a search that oscillates in the equilibrium between gift received and gift granted.

~ Samuel Terrien, The Psalm, p. 269

What is God's impulsion in our lives?
What do we "see" in the face of God?
What are the gifts received and granted?
What is the difference between gifts received and gifts granted?

Maeghan
Picture by Benjamin Earwicker

3 comments:

  1. Maeghan,

    I would think of God's impulsion as being the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

    I really don't understand the second sentence, but I think seeing His face is like knowing Him and His attributes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't understand the second sentence

    Me neither!! lol

    And I am still thinking about "God's impulsion". I am quite sure he did not mean it in the "impulse" sense, or would he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on the not understanding part! I waited to comment until someone else took a shot. :-)

    If "expulsion" is being "kicked out", then maybe "impulsion" is being "kicked in." Maybe he is suggesting that God forces in on ourselves.

    Seeing the face of God is a deep one. I spent 10 years in a church that was entirely about doing this. I still have some dross to sort through from that experience.

    The gifts are surely love given and love received. You have heard me say that God wanted to be tickled. He wanted to be surprised by an "other" who loved Him. We are also surprised when He loves us. I think the gifts are those moments of delight.

    ReplyDelete