Monday, October 02, 2006

1 Thessalonians


I found myself seeking for encouragement mainly in the Old Testament, particularly the Psalms, and so I thought I'd try the New Testament. My thoughts went to 1 Thessalonians by virtue of 5:16-18, "Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus" (NLT). I ended up reading the entire letter, which isn't too long really, and was much encouraged by it.

Paul wrote 1 Thessalonians approximately in 51AD, one of the earliest letters he wrote. He wrote it to strengthen the Thessalonian Christians in their faith and give them the assurance of Christ's return.

We know that God loves you, dear brothers and sisters, and that he chose you to be his own people. For when we brought you the Good News, it was not only with words but also with power, for the Holy Spirit gave you full assurance that what was said was true ... so you received the message with joy from the Holy Spirit in spite of the severe suffering it brought you.
~ 1 Thess 1:4-6

Maeghan
Picture by Dirk Herrmann

2 comments:

  1. Maeghan,

    Isn't it ironic, that you look to the Old Testament for encouragement? Afterall, it is the New Testament that is associated with the hope, mercy and love of God. Many traditionalists see the tone of the Old Testament, judgemental and forboding.

    This goes to show that there is really only one Testament and our view of splitting the two is out of kilter.

    God Bless
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironic indeed - I never thought of it that way. Maybe because I really love the OT, not that I don't love the NT.

    ReplyDelete