Friday, August 11, 2006

Grace and Peace


I was reminded today what Paul's mention of "grace and peace" is and what they are in connection to each other - that grace is the love of God through the blood of Christ that is given us; to us who do not deserve it at all, and the peace is as a result of that grace, we are no longer condemned. It caused me to think about John 14:27 in a new light. I have never seen it this way before that when Jesus talks about the peace that He gives: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid," He is talking about His peace that is in relation with His death on the cross. That to me, is enlightening. I have been looking for peace in the past week and this is the peace that He offers, the peace that is through His blood, the peace that we are no longer condemned. It is more than a feeling, it is an act.

And as life would have it, in just the past one week, between me and my husband, there were in total 7 deaths of those we know or in some ways, family friends; including Jonathan, who passed away 2 nights ago. It really reminds me again that we live in a temporary world, and so whatever problems I encounter is nothing in contrast to that fact. That our lives are so minuscule in comparison to eternity - we are but a whiff of smoke.

I therefore, draw upon the peace that only Jesus can give; that through His life-giving blood, I have peace, whether I feel it or not. I can trust in Him and rely on Him. He will be my Strength and my Song.

Maeghan
Picture by Matthew Bowden

2 comments: