Thursday, July 27, 2006

Casting lots?

I was commenting in Codepoke's post and we discussed briefly about casting lots.

Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.
~ Acts 1:26

I checked FF Bruce's commentary on the Book of Acts where he said that historically speaking, the act of casting lots is very common and acceptable. Nevertheless, a lot of work will be put into the selection process before finally casting lots. Most probably it boils down to context and culture. Nowadays, it is just not acceptable to leave things to chance.

Maeghan
Picture by Anna Maria Lopez Lopez

2 comments:

  1. Whoops. Reading your posts backwards. I should know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP,
    I think I said this - Nowadays, it is just not acceptable to leave things to chance. without much basis because further reading into the other practices and what Julia has shared, some do cast lots. I dunno - I will see if the lecturer has anything to say when class starts in Sept. Will update you.

    ReplyDelete