Thursday, June 29, 2006

Musical Blessings

I took vocal lessons since March this year and I am so blessed to have an excellent vocal trainer to help and train me in singing. Joanna is a delight to be with, a real blessing and joy to me and all around her.

I have learnt so much from her. The most important is this: since I started serving in the music ministry in church, be it in the choir or the worship team, some 20 years ago, I was always told to sing with my diaphragm. The problem is nobody could tell me how! Most would show me by belting out a song. Yes, I hear them. But no, I don't see how. Not until a couple of years ago, when Joanna explained it. Aaahh ... I see ...

I also learnt why I can't seem to sing sometimes. I now realise that each of us have these, I am not sure what to call it technically, notes between our low and high singing range. I just sound awful singing G and A just above the middle-C. Solution? Practice and more practice.

And finally I found and confirmed my genre of songs: classical. I love the sound of songs like Pie Jesu, Panis Angelicus. Not many people appreciate classical though and I need to strengthen the other genre of songs, particularly the praise and worship kind, since these will be the songs which I need to lead the congregation in worship.

So, why am I posting this?

For one, I am spending most of my available time including devotion time preparing for my Romans 6 paper due this Tuesday, and I have posted quite a bit of it already here. So, I really don't have much else to post in relations to my devotion. (With this, my next few postings would most probably be just ramblings!)

Two, I am simply grateful for His blessings, His goodness, His providence, His love, and the fact that He created music, that He inhabits in the praises of His people (Ps 22:3).

I will therefore "praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being." ~ Ps 146:2

The LORD is my strength and my song,
....and he has become my salvation;
this is my God, and I will praise him,
....my father's God, and I will exalt him.
~ Exo 15:2

Maeghan
Picture by Nik Frey

10 comments:

  1. Maeghan,

    I can't sing any not pretty...lol. It doesn't stop me though: it just hinders me.

    I hope your Romans 6 stuff comes together.

    God Bless
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'note'... not 'not'... rofl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't sing well at all so to hear someone who does is a blessing to me. He gave us singers and listeners. :-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug, I hope so too. Struggling but positive.

    Milly, he has to, or else, either no one will be listening or no one will be singing LOL

    Thanks for listening to my ramblings :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or we all be singing off key and loud. *o*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to listen to those classical songs you mentioned, but I don't really listen in the same way to the worship leader sing praise songs, do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia,
    hmm ... I don't think I get what you mean. Pls explain? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. By worship leader, I am thinking of one who leads the congregation in praise songs, so the person in the congregation would have their attention focused upward toward God and not so much on wow, that lady has a great voice. But the classical singer is more of a complete package, singer's voice & song, that you would focus on for its beauty and then ultimately to God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I see what you mean ... I agree. As a worship leader, whatever he or she does, must lead the people into worshipping God, songs used, how they are sung, arranged, what they say and even what they wear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, and also, the people in the congregation will be participating, whereas in listening to the classical singer, they would be observing. When you are singing yourself in the congregation, you are not listening as much to the leader sing.

    ReplyDelete