Saturday, June 17, 2006

The longest day with the shortest psalm

It's midnight now and I have been up since 7am … working (at least the teams are, and I had to wait for the completion of the deliverables). Having no time to reflect on much other than case studies, discussions and more discussions, I thought it would be neat to reflect on the shortest of the psalms.

Psalm 117 (NIV)
1 Praise the LORD, all you nations;
.....extol him, all you peoples.
2 For great is his love toward us,
.....and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.
.....Praise the LORD.

Some thoughts:

In God's worship it is not always necessary to be long; few words sometimes say what is sufficient, as this short Psalm giveth us to understand. - David Dickson.

This Psalm, the shortest portion of the Book of God, is quoted, and given much value to, in Rom. 15. And upon this it has been profitably observed, “It is a small portion of Scripture, and as such we might easily overlook it. But not so the Holy Ghost. He gleans up this precious little testimony which speaks of grace to the Gentiles, and presses it on our attention.” - From Bellett's Short Meditations on the Psalms, chiefly in their Prophetic character, 1871.

A very short Psalm if you regard the words, but of very great compass and most excellent if you thoughtfully consider the meaning. There are here five principal points of doctrine.
First, the calling of the Gentiles, the Apostle being the interpreter, Rom 15:11; but in vain might the Prophet invite the Gentiles to praise Jehovah, unless they were to be gathered into the unity of the faith together with the children of Abraham.
Second, The summary of the Gospel, namely, the manifestation of grace and truth, the Holy Spirit being the interpreter, Joh 1:17.
Third, The end of so great a blessing, namely, the worship of God in spirit and in truth, as we know that the kingdom of the Messiah is spiritual.
Fourth, the employment of the subjects of the great King is to praise and glorify Jehovah.
Lastly, the privilege of these servants: that, as to the Jews, so also to the Gentiles, who know and serve God the Saviour, eternal life and blessedness are brought, assured in this life, and prepared in heaven. - Mollerus.

Maeghan
Picture by Rodolfo Clix

5 comments:

  1. Maeghan,

    thanks for the cool insight. It is amazing how a few sentances can rock your world!

    God Bless and get some sleep
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug,
    God Bless and get some sleep
    This time, it is a "wish I could" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maeghan,

    I can't even keep up with all your posting! How do you do it?

    I'll have a lot to read when I get back. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia,
    How do you do it?

    I dunno, I guess I think a lot. Just hope it is "good" thinking.

    But if you notice I haven't had time to view blogs. In the night, I am back in my hotel room and there is not internet access. In the day, I will be too busy to do so. So I will have a lot of catch up when I am back. I am packing up right after this and going up to sleep. G'nite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep your eyes on Jesus and your thinking should stay on track!
    Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete