Sunday, May 14, 2006

Tune my heart to sing thy grace ...

What touched me today is this hymn we have not sung for a long time. Beautiful words, beautiful tune.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

Words: Ro­bert Ro­bin­son, 1758; ap­peared in his A Col­lect­ion of Hymns Used by the Church of Christ in Angel Al­ley, Bi­shop­gate, 1759. Music: “Net­tle­ton,” Wyeth’s Re­po­si­to­ry of Sac­red Mu­sic, Part Se­cond, by John Wy­eth, 1813

Maeghan
Picture by Luc Sesselle

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, yes, yes, Meaghan!

    I was totally moved by the same exact hymn this morning at church, I can't believe it. Here on the other side of the world! The band added a tin whistle this week to their guitars, drums, violin & viola and did it kind of slow so you could really listen to the words as you sang. I felt my heart seal right up for His court above! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture, by the way, and I guess I never heard the last verse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! Milly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia,
    wow ... wow ... I am amazed.
    There is a certain Celtic tinge in the tune doesn't it? Our band is basic without the strings - would be wonderful to have.
    The last verse I think was added buy someone else.
    Luc Sesselle is the photographer. He is my favourite photographer in www.sxc.hu

    ReplyDelete