Friday, May 12, 2006

Romans 4

I still stand by my opinion that Romans 4 is pretty straightforward. Imputation and double imputation was not really addressed during class, on the basis that they were not really the gist of the chapter. Paul was instead trying to drive home the point that justification is by faith and not works.

And in answer to my questions yesterday:

Is faith counted as righteousness? Faith recognised as righteousness?
Yes on the basis of Rom 4:3: For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness." (ESV)

That if I have faith, I have righteousness? If it is, won't it count as justification by works after all?
No. Paul qualified Rom 4:3 with Rom 4:4-5: Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness. (ESV)

And what about double imputation? Christ's righteousness imputed on us?
My stand is: Christ's righteousness being imputed on us was not once mentioned in the bible. I am not saying that it can't be. It can and it may but it was not mentioned and therefore, I don't see that as an issue. But I believe it was brought up because of the above question of faith being a work and as a result justification will be by works. To me, Paul has already qualified his statement in the following 2 verses. He could use 4:3 to appeal to the Jews but gave it a twist to emphasise his point.

What I discovered in class however, was something quite interesting found in Rom 4:24.


    It (faith) will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord.
This verse can be seen as a turning point in what Paul was trying to teach the Jews. In Rom 4:3, he quotes Gen 15:6, Abraham believed God. In Rom4:24, he did an about turn and said instead, believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord. In effect, he is saying, "Abraham believed God and his faith is reckoned as righteousness, however for you, believe in God who raised Jesus from the dead, and your faith will be counted as righteousness."

Maeghan

1 comment:

  1. Maeghan,

    Really cool insight. Thanks for sharing on this. I already said my peace on your previous post.

    God Bless
    -Doug

    ReplyDelete