Monday, May 08, 2006

A drink of joy from deathless springs

I am feeling a bit blue today; not so much because it is a Monday. I guess it is just one of those days - can't be explained.

Today's pondering is something that cannot be put into words either. JS Bach's "Jesu Son of Man's Desiring" is so captivating I can listen to it forever. It makes me hopeful of the last day, when I can eternally be where the angels sing.

Embedded mp3 removed - get it here.

Jesu, joy of man’s desiring,
Holy wisdom, love most bright;
Drawn by Thee, our souls aspiring
Soar to uncreated light.
Word of God, our flesh that fashioned,
With the fire of life impassioned,
Striving still to truth unknown,
Soaring, dying round Thy throne.

Through the way where hope is guiding,
Hark, what peaceful music rings;
Where the flock, in Thee confiding,
Drink of joy from deathless springs.
Theirs is beauty’s fairest pleasure;
Theirs is wisdom’s holiest treasure.
Thou dost ever lead Thine own
In the love of joys unknown.

Words: Mar­tin Ja­nus, 1661 (Je­sus bleib­et meine Freude, mein­es Herz­ens Trost und Saft); trans­lat­ed from Ger­man to Eng­lish prob­ab­ly by Ro­bert S. Bridg­es (1844-1930).Music: Jo­hann Schop (1590-1664); ar­ranged by Jo­hann S. Bach for the chor­us clos­ing his Can­ta­ta 147, 1723 MI­DI, score).

Todd Frazier recorded the above horn rendition of the piece, where he played all four parts himself.
(see http://todd.macshare.com/horn.html)

Maeghan

7 comments:

  1. We all have those days. Nice music,
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Milly,
    Just saw your comment about praying for us ... thanks so much. It is wonderful that we share the same love of God.

    I thought today will be just one of those day but it turned out to be worse than "those days". For one, out of nothing, I was called "gullible" by a colleague, had some problem at work and now at home I just received a large bill; large as in not even my monthly salary is able to cover it. But I continue to trust in the Lord and take heed of Paul's word - rejoice in the Lord, and again I say rejoice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bank made a mistake leaving a trail of bad checks and the dryer went out leaving me at the laundry mat. I think my week is still better than yours.
    Sorry

    You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meaghan,

    I love that song, too. Your post reminds me of St. Augustine, "Our hearts are restless until they rest in you." We are longing for that perfection or Shalom and we won't realize it completely until we meet Jesus. Bless you,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Milly :) I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia,
    Thanks for the St. Augustine quote. I have that somewhere in my notepads or stickynotes - and so it's good to have it here in my blog. Hmmm... maybe I should dig up all the great quotes and start exchanging them with you. Simple sentences but speaks great volumes. Bless you too!

    ReplyDelete