Thursday, April 20, 2006

While working out Romans 6:4, it reminded me of The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe movie. I love the book and the movie, no doubt about that.

Firstly, a slight detour: my favourite scene is the one when the White Witch was demanding for Edmund. She said, "... the boy belongs to me . That boy will die on the Stone Table ... You think that a simple threat will deny me my right, little king ? Aslan knows that if I do not have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned, and perish, in fire and water."

In effect, it is blood for blood, live for live: the heart of the gospel. I am simply amazed at the movie: how it carried the message of the Saviour Lord Jesus Christ.

The only scene however, I was not satisfied with was the resurrection one. I thought it was underplayed - I just felt that the Lion did not "die enough", for the lack of a better phrase. But I could not really pin it down and explain it any further.

Now I can, after working out Romans 6:4.

The verse says, "Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life."

The key word is buried. Jesus was placed in a tomb, he really died. The tomb brings forth the completeness and finality of death - it is not momentary, it is final. He is buried.

Therefore, his resurrection was even more glorious. He arose! He is not here!

Compare that with the Lion, there is no such finality to its death. He looks more like he passed out on the stone table and got up the next day. No wonder I felt shortchanged there. (I forgot how it was in the book, I must go check it shortly.)

The point is, Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" (John 11:25-26)

Maeghan
Picture from www.narniaweb.com/

4 comments:

  1. Hi Yee Nee,
    How are you? Nice of you to drop by again. Have you seen the movie, Chronicles of Narnia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it must just be my wife and I, but we were severely disapointed with Narnia.

    The character development was dreadful, the overall message was muttled, and unless you read the books, I am guessing you would have no chance of understanding what was going on.

    To add to the pain, the scene when Aslan was on the slab, assured the I couldn't take my 5 year old to see it.

    Perhaps it was just that I love the Chronicles so much growing up that I expected so much more from the movie. Either way, I think it fell flat.

    God Bless
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Severely huh? Well ... I may agree to a certain extent, but what I am glad about it is because it is publicised and have become popular enough for the message however implicit to get across to the mass. That is why I really like the scene mentioned in my post.

    I know, I'd prefer the books anytime - including LOTR and Harry Potter, the movies in comparison are dismal (but I still enjoyed watching the LOTR). I watched The Fellowship of the Ring first before reading it and I got so irritated and frustrated while reading - I cannot even begin to list out why; I'd end up rambling to no end!

    Your mention about the stone slab scene reminds me of the Passion :) I never took my son to see that movie, but one thing for sure, it made me realised that it was a horrible death or even worse than depicted.

    Anyway, to tell you the truth, I have not finished reading the Chronicles of Narnia :) - only The Magician and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meaghan,

    In all of your free time (chuckle). You really should share the chronicles with your children. It is wonderful reading, and it is entertaining for adults who see the real parallels. Some of the greatest fictional literature of all time.

    -doug

    ReplyDelete