Sunday, April 23, 2006

Our sermon today was a call for us to spread the good news of Easter: that Jesus is the resurrection and the life.

When Lazarus had died, Jesus arrived at their home several days after. Martha, Lazarus' sister said to him, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know whatever you ask from God, God will give you."

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

Martha said, "Yes, I know he will; in the resurrection on the last day."

And Jesus replied, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"

What amazing words; but when you think about it, Jesus does tangent off with his words at the most unexpected places. If I were to imagine I'm Martha, I'd be devastated with the death of my brother, "Oh Lord, if only you were here earlier". But at Jesus words and reply, wouldn't you do a double take and "huh?" Listen to Martha: "Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world." I don't really think she understood though she believed.

Jesus' words and response can be the most unexpected. So much more for us to realise that He speaks to us from above; from God whom we can only see through him.

A.T. Robertson: Jesus' reply is startling enough. They are not mere doctrines about future events, but present realities in Jesus himself. "The Resurrection is one manifestation of the Life: it is involved in the Life" (Westcott). Note the article with both αναστασις, resurrection and ζωη, life. Jesus had taught the future resurrection often (John 6:39), but here he means more, even that Lazarus us now alive.

M.R. Vincent: The words I am are very significant. Martha had stated the resurrection rather as a doctrine, a current tenet: Jesus states it as a fact, identified with His own person. He does not say, I raise the dead; I perform the resurrection, but I am the resurrection. In His own person, representing humanity, He exhibits man as immortal, but immortal only through union with Him.

B.W. Johnson: Christ makes the grand, striking declaration that he is the RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE, words that never could have fallen from the lips of a sane mortal. They mean that he is the power which opens every grave, gives life to the sleepers, and calls them forth to a new existence; that the life that endows men with eternal being is in him and proceeds from him. In the light of his own resurrection they mean that when he burst open the tomb he did it for humanity and in him humanity has won the victory over death.

This is the message of Easter: Jesus is the resurrection and the life. Spread his words, spread his life.

Maeghan
Picture by Bill Davenport

1 comment:

  1. Meaghan,

    Great thoughts. I think I'd like your pastor.

    God Bless
    Doug

    ReplyDelete