Monday, March 06, 2006

Being the Lent season, I should be spending time with the Lord in prayer and reminiscence of the cross, rather than on the dishonest manager and his master.

I was reading Leon Morris's The Cross of Jesus before I was interjected by the mind-boggling Lucan parable. I would have to read it again from the beginning as I have already lost track of it -- which is something I seem to be doing quite often in recent days, losing track of my reading, that is.

Comparing to John Stott's The Cross of Christ, Morris's The Cross of Jesus is by far a much thinner book but nonetheless an excellent one. While Stott attempts to lay out what the cross is, what it represents, what it achieved and what it means by living under it, Morris presents the cross as an answer to futility, ignorance, loneliness, sickness & death and, selfishness.

Firstly, Morris asks the question Why the Cross?

The cross is very central to Christianity and it is even evident in the language that we use: "the crucial point is ... "; "the crux of the matter is ... " As Morris points out, "we are saying in effect 'just as the cross is central to Christianity, so is this point central to my argument' ".


The big question for Christians is "How does the death of Jesus save us?"

Maeghan

Picture by Sam Hummel

No comments:

Post a Comment