Thursday, December 28, 2006

Today is still 2006!

I hadn’t expected very much of a day today but it turned out quite good. From the moment I woke up I thought about what I need to do for work – yes, even though I am on leave, there is this report I still need to work on and to send out as soon as possible. However, I procrastinated and spent the day painting the front gate and packing and cleaning up the storeroom. Documents, bags and books – I accumulate a lot of things and I sometimes dump them in the storeroom to my usual regret.


It was at about 4.30pm that my day really started. I found a book, the only one so far, which is a “double purchase” – Paul Copan’s How Do You Know You’re Not Wrong?: Responding to Objections That Leave Christians Speechless. I must have bought it some months back, forgot about it and bought another copy just before Christmas. So I thought since I have been so hard working the whole day at home, though I have not even thought much about the report let alone work on it, I decided to give myself a treat and visit SUFES with Calvin.


SUFES Bookstore - Pearlie’s favouritest aisle

It was a short visit. I had wanted to change the book into a good one on the Holy Spirit but I did find find any that attracted or impressed me.


So I ended with this one: Arland J. Hultgren’s The Parables of Jesus: A Commentary – albeit double the price of Copan. However, later when I took a closer look at the book, I found that the author includes parables of the Gospel of Thomas in the commentary. He did not much mention about his stand on the apocryphal. He is silent about it – I will have to read it to determine that, if I could, that is.

Don’t ask me how, but we ended up in the downtown mall and inadvertently visited the bookstore there as well. It does have a good selection of Christian books and you’d know what happened. These:


Harry Potter and the Bible: The Menace Behind the Magick and
Harry Potter, Narnia, and The Lord of the Rings: What You Need to Know About Fantasy Books and Movies
by Richard Abanes
Remember the first book I bought about Harry Potter? That one which is totally against my stand in Christ, which I thankfully got it returned. Noel told me about Harry Potter and the Bible. I saw that it carries a foreword by Doug Groothuis, so it must be at least dependable. I am looking forward to reading it. I also got his newer one where he makes comparisons between all three of my favourite books. It will definitely be a good read as well. Both books however, got poor reviews in Amazon - I will have to read them for myself since they could have gotten bad reviews on the virtue that these books are with a cultish following.


In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How It Changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture
by McGrath, Alister

I know I had to refrain from buying books and more books but I just had to get this one. It is a combination of 3 of my most endearing subjects – Christianity, English and history. I had actually cried when I read about the story of the KJV in The Story of English by Robert McCrum, et al. Anyway, I was about to make to my first New Year resolution in years not to purchase any more books except commentaries or required reading, but today is still 2006!


The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief
by Francis S. Collins
I have not gotten any Christmas present for my husband and when I saw this, I knew it would be something he’d love to read. Collins is the head of the Human Genome Project. He accepted Christ after reading C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity. Just on that alone, I must read it as well, though it may not make any sense to me!

When I got home after a great day out, I started to work on the report and I am glad I got to send it out, though there is some more to work on. I will try again tomorrow.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Maeghan,

    What a great day and great ending to 2006!!! The Story of English sounds good - I must try to get it. What made you cry about the origin of the KJV? We read a bit about it in Eat This Book.

    I love that picture of "Maeghan's Favorite Aisle" at Sufie's. You are a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is a good book - do look out for it.

    What made you cry about the origin of the KJV?
    I cried because of what people had to go through for the Word of God to be given to the ordinary folk.

    Maeghan's Favorite Aisle
    I could stay there hours on end :)

    ReplyDelete