Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. It will inaugurate our preparation to observe the Lord's passion and resurrection.

Today begins the Lent season. It is a call to deeper involvement and deeper faith in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I have often felt wanting. I always feel I am never the person I want to be. I know I often strive for perfection. The world we live in however, is far from being perfect; and yet I strive to be. Why? Only because we are initially made to be perfect; then became marred by sin.

Non-Christians may never understand our preoccupation with the concept of sin. But what I think is that the same goes for ourselves as Christians. John Stott has lamented that we underestimate the gravity of sin, our sin: the fact that we have chosen to be separated from God. I sometimes think that I am ok, that I am close to God; but on a deeper level, I sense that I am no where near God in the thoughts I think, in the words I say and in the things I do.

Therefore, this Lent: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin (or a sin offering) for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Cor 5:20b-21)

I need to begin to learn and understand the weight of sin; and know what it means to be reconciled to God. We all do. And when we are reconciled to him in the last day, perfection then will we see.

Today is Ash Wednesday: today begins the Lent season.

Maeghan

Picture from http://office.microsoft.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment