Saturday, April 19, 2008

Writing Well


Terry Pratchett, The Bromeliad: Truckers, Diggers, Wings, (UK: Corgi, 2008)

My husband bought a new Terry Pratchett book for Calvin - The Bromeliad. He had just finished The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and so we thought it would be good to get him another (though we did forget that he has another he has not started on, The Wee Free Men).

The book looked like such a good read that I dug in first. Pratchett is an excellent writer - I so wish I can write like him. Just listen to these words. Read it aloud, listen to it:

The sky rained dismal. It rained humdrum. It rained the kind of rain that is so much wetter than normal rain, the kind of rain that comes down in big drops and splats, the kind of rain that is merely an upright seas with slots in it.
Yes, my husband bought a book for our son. Now, isn't that nice?

pearlie

3 comments:

  1. great stuff from pratchett. we found some audio books on pratchett's books done by bbc. so my daughter is listening to them from her phone as mp3 files.

    can always email you in case you like to listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pratchett has a way with words, haven't he? And a wicked sense of humour. What a combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Upright seas with slots in it!!!

    ReplyDelete