Thursday, April 03, 2008

B-O-O-K-S!

I am quite amused that my 6-months-book-fast is drawing some attention here. Kar Yong and Melissa both do not believe that I can do it. One is offering me a dinner and the other a book gift just to get me going. And I know it is only the 3rd of April, only 3 days into the fast, and a whopping 180 more days to go. But do it I must. I seriously have overspent on books within a mere 3 months into the year. And that is not including the amount I spent on a full set of WBC in CD-Rom end of last year.

It is a good time to stop, for awhile. But Kar Yong is playing the tempter, as always. So I am dedicating this song to him, sung in the tune of "Old MacDonald had a Farm":

All these books
They're very good
B-O-O-K-S!
Go get some
Don't miss the fun
B-O-O-K-S!
There's a sale, sale here
And a sale, sale there
Sale here, discount there
Book deals everywhere ...
(ad-lib) Yeah - yeah - yeah!
All these books
They're very good
B-O-O-K-S!
Of course I must say that he is doing an absolutely fabulous job, no doubt about it, in getting the word out about book deals, which many of us are so grateful about. Just that sometimes, I just wish I didn't know ... but don't let that stop you, Kar Yong - I still need to know!

pearlie

11 comments:

  1. Hahahaha.....We'll keep counting the days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! I'm in total sympathy with you. Isn't it good if u are an apostle? Cos u'll be the one who is doing the writing and not the buying and reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A side thought, if the apostles were smart, they should had copyright their writings. Then leave the copyrights to a foundation, and all the income will generate into the foundation.

    Given that the Bible being the all-time bestseller, the foundation would be able to fund all those theological studies, missionary works, feeding the poor etc etc by now.

    Too bad, Adam Smith was born 1700 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JW,

    It's not Paul that is doing the writing - it is Paul's interpreters that are doing the writing and we end up buying.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not Paul that is doing the writing - it is Paul's interpreters that are doing the writing and we end up buying.....

    And Kar Yong is one of them,
    So get out your wallets start emptying ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6-Months-Book-Fast Report

    I received a call today from Canaanland and told me that a book a friend had helped ordered for me has arrived!!! I had to ask them to hold on to it if they can but if they can't, then by all means sell if there's a buyer.
    :( :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry, Pearlie - there is a temporary relief for you now. Check this out. http://myhomilia.blogspot.com/2008/04/9-new-online-books-from-sbl-publication.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pearlie,

    You broke your fast!! So...does that make me a prophet?

    Anyway, you did a good job - this is one fast that I would never declare it for myself...

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l, I may have broke my fast but it is a much needed one. But the fast is back on, and after what I have done, it is SO-O-O-O back on ... so continue counting the days ...

    BTW, do you really wanna be a prophet, hmmm? :P

    ReplyDelete