Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday spree

I decided to do something we have not done for a long time - spend Sunday afternoon in town. Calvin and I headed to Bangsar Shopping Village after attending church and was greeted with a most pleasant surprise. As we were walking towards the concourse area of the mall, we saw someone playing at the piano. I said to Calvin the one thing I always say to him when we see someone at the piano in the mall - go learn your piano well and next time you can play in malls to earn some pocket money. As we were walking towards the baby grand, I realised the pianist was none other than Colin, Janet Ng's son, whom I blogged about just yesterday, whose book I bought and finished reading just yesterday.


Janet Ng, Harvest of Love, 2005
Janet Ng quit her full-time job to devote her everfy to nurture her visually-impaired son, Colin. Harvest of Love is an inspiring real-life story of how Janet went against all odds to help Colin pursue tertiary education in music in Malaysia where there is hardly any music teacher of facility for visually-disabled students. Born with multiple disabilities in 1983, Colin was not expected to survive beyond one month. Through sheer grit and faith, Janet proved her doctors wrong and managed to raise a talented young man - the first visually impaired person to graduate in music from a Malaysian university-college.

We got permission from Janet to take a video and Calvin took this with my phone camera.


Calvin and I then headed off to lunch and I am not sure what came over me, I started sketching him.




Calvin decided to try sketching too.




pearlie

16 comments:

  1. Calvin did a good sketch of you. He is so talented, insightful and has a wonderful sense of humour. Lamb chop indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha ... ok, ok ... and I was just scowling at my husband for saying that it has some resemblance.

    Calvin named that jpeg file Moommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i think the second sketch (calvin's) a superb work of art! belissimo! haha ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting!!! Loved the sketches. You are certainly multi-talented my dear, sweet, young friend!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet coincidence to see Colin playing!

    You are both very talented sketchers! When I did one of Ruthie last summer I found it a very bonding moment. Did you think so, too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    Thank you and I presume you are giving me the compliments! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missy,
    Yes, we were delighted to see Colin. We took a seat and I started to scan for his mom - finally saw her and spoke with her. I am not sure if I could have her kind of strength.

    We had great fun doing the sketches! When he first saw what I did, he asked why I can draw so well. And when he did it, he was having fun and laughed so much we were attracting attention at our table! But yes, you are right, it was a very good bonding time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa,
    I learnt a new word :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia,
    You are the only kind soul here. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Pealie it was certainly a compliment!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hii Pearlie.. u sketch well...

    ReplyDelete