Monday, October 01, 2007

Am I a bibliophile or bibliomaniac?

I wonder if I should be getting worried, for having this unstoppable penchant to buy books whenever I am at a bookstore. I was on my way to my firm's buka puasa event - I made a detour to Canaanland, on the excuse that it was early and it was nearby. I may not have any plans to buy but I definitely had the impulse.

Then I saw this. And well, I don't have to tell you what I did.

Encountering the Manuscripts, An Introduction to New Testament Paleography and Textual Criticism by Philip Comfort (Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2005)

I also found this online book that I must find time to dig in: William Carew Hazlitt's Book Collector, a general survey of the pursuit and of those who have engaged in it at home and abroad from the earliest period to the present time. (London: J Grant, 1904). It is said that even though it is published over a century ago, but still worth dipping into.

I think that proves it - a bibliomaniac is a bibliomaniac is a bibliomaniac.

pearlie

18 comments:

  1. Pearlie- I hope you are just a bibliophile. Years ago, when I was in the Netherlands, I walked into a bookstore, but it was so full of books, you couldn't even open the door. A maniacal looking man was in there and I got the feeling none of his books were for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for bibliomaniac ... now I just need to know what it means :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bibliophile - one who loves or collects books. Had to look it up!! Couldn't find biblimaniac but since maniac has to do with being insane I would vote for bibliophile!!! I am definately one, too, but not as big so as you!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What else can I say? I detoured to Pustaka SUFES on my way home yesterday, but decided not to get out of the car and drove away....then turned in to SUFES again on my way out from home, only to drive away again...So who am I?....

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi pearlie,

    You are definitely a bibliomaniac. It takes one to know one :-)

    kar yong,

    you are a closet bibliophile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Btw, it's a norm to be a bibliomaniac or bibliophile esp in Aust. I remembered when I was studying there and visiting big Christian bookshop, I was aghast to see everyone shopped for books with their trolley. That was a culture shock to me at first. Now that I have already influenced by them, it's hard for me to NOT to buy anything when I visit SUFES or any other Christian bookshop!! So, it'a norm and a good sign that we are developing a culture of well-read people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just like the way bibliomaniac sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia,
    Haha ... I would love to see the shop and the man - would be an interesting sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan,
    Someone with bibliomania is a bibliophile with a compulsive disorder to accumulate :)
    Sounds like the rest have voted me a bibliomaniac!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kar Yong,
    Haha ... Alex is not quite right! You are an open bibliophile but a closet bibliomaniac!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kar Yong,
    Haha ... Alex is not quite right! You are an open bibliophile but a closet bibliomaniac!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chee Keat,
    A bookshop with trolleys!!!! Exactly what I need!!! We don't even get a basket :( :(
    Haha ... trolleys would be an overkill - but baskets would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KB,
    You do?
    It has the "psychological problems" tag attached to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maniac just means that you are crazy about something not that you are crazy ... when I think of the phile ending I think of someone with a fetish.

    Maybe it is better to be crazy about books than to be in love with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe it is better to be crazy about books than to be in love with them

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to find someone who suffer the same neurosis! I'm not alone :-)

    ReplyDelete