Monday, March 12, 2007

Now I get Job

I had said to myself many times over, I do not really get Job. I understand the part where God allowed Satan to test him but Job stood by his conviction to God, and he gained favour in God’s sight. I just don’t get the elongated debate between Job and his four friends. I don’t quite understand why it’s in the bible, why we need to know what they said when it is clear that Job is righteous before God. I also did not get it because what the 4 friends said were mainly things that are real and true in their own right, but not true on Job’s count, so how do I study them? As truth or non-truth?

Not until I experience a very, very, very, very minute and small portion of what Job experience that I am beginning to understand the purpose of Job, why it is there for us to study and meditate. Several people had said to me that bad things happened to me because I have disobeyed God. I do not mean that I am totally pure and righteous but I am innocent of the vice that they accused me of. I felt slightly annoyed. Only slightly because they are family and they mean well (maybe that is why Job let them go on and on for 42 chapters!). But I also suddenly feel worried, what if they are right. I turned to the Word and lo and behold, I suddenly get Job. If you are righteous before God following Him in His word and His will, it doesn’t matter what other people say. They may be saying things that sound real and true but not right.

After the LORD had spoken these words to Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "My anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has. ~ Job 42:7

It was such a comfort. Sufferings happen whether we deserve it or not – it is a part of life and it is a way that will bring us maturity and character, and with that hope.

More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. ~ Rom 5:3-5

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. a good, yet hard, lesson...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed. It is hard but must admit not hard at all compared to Job.

    ReplyDelete